top of page
  • Writer's pictureMariel Megan Ross

HOA Corner: I want a fancy front door. What are the rules?

Updated: Dec 12, 2018

Want to paint your front door bright red? Add a security gill? Here are the CAB rules

As your Sterling Ranch real estate expert, I'm often asked what you can - and can't - do in and to your Sterling Ranch home. We thought the Sterling Ranch Roundup would be a helpful forum to answer FAQs. Keep in mind that the community's rules can and do change so check first with the Community Authority Board (the CAB is Sterling Ranch's equivalent to a HOA) regarding your particular issue. In other words, don't rely on this Roundup post - ask your Sterling Ranch realtor or the CAB for the latest and great information. With that said, on to today's question!

Question: I want to change my front door. What am I allowed to do?

One of our new construction clients recently asked their builder not to paint their front door white, the standard front door color for their particular home. Instead, they plan to finish the door and leave it a beautiful natural brown color. (If you'd like to see the door, check out the 3D tour of the home here and "walk" to the front door.)

I absolutely love this idea - their front door is going to look incredible! - but what else can you do with your front door in Sterling Ranch?

So long as (1) you aren't modifying your door frame, and (2) the door's material, style, and color are appropriate for the architectural style of your home, you don't need Sterling Ranch's Design Review Committee (DRC) approval if you want to change your front door, according to Sterling Ranch Residential Property Owners Guidebook (June 2017 version).

This means the front door in the picture above is likely a no-go without DRC approval, since you'd need to modify your door frame to install the glass, among other potential exterior modifications.

Also, there are two other exceptions. If you want to install security bars or grills on your front door, you'll need DRC approval regardless. Or if you want to add mullions (vertical or horizontal bars between glass window panes) or muntins (strips of wood or metal separating and holding glass window panes), you'll need DRC approval.

But what if you simply want to paint your front door red? Assuming the red matches the color and style of your home, you should be fine.

If you have a question you'd like the Roundup to look into, feel free to e-mail me at As your Sterling Ranch real estate expert, I'm just as interested in finding out the answers to your questions as you are! We will continue to post FAQs, and answers to those FAQs, from time to time so please check back with the Roundup often!

Last but not least, keep in mind we can't provide legal or other advice to you, and please don't rely on this Roundup post. Check with the CAB if you have any questions.

223 views0 comments


bottom of page